NJPPC Retiring ‘Poker Run’ Handle
What’s in a name? Quite a bit, at least according to Dave Patnaude of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club. Starting this year, the NJPPC will be renaming all of its former poker runs—even its signature Atlantic City event—”rallies.” According to Patnaude, the president of the club, the goal of the new verbiage is to expand attendance and participation.
Dave Patnaude believes the name change will make NJPPC events more inviting non-performance boat owners. Photo courtesy/copyright Tim Sharkey/Sharkey Images.
“We believe the term ‘poker run’ connotes that the event is for fast boats only,” he said in a press release from the club. “Over the last several years, the types of boats that have been attending our events have been evolving. We still have many members with beautiful fast boats, both large and small. But we also now have several members participating with center console boats and super sport-style boats.
“The poker hands will still be played as part of the rally events,” he added. “We plan to offer a new rally option for members who want to meet us at the final destination to enjoy the festivities but not run with the rally boat fleet. That said, we will be looking at possibly having custom cars participate as well.”
The 2015 NJPPC Schedule:
• Saturday March 28 – “Spring Fling!” Latitudes on the River, Forked River (new event)
• Sunday May 24 – Memorial Day Weekend Social/Water Street Grill, Toms River
• Friday May 29-Sunday May 31 – Seaside Heights /Barnegat Bay Veterans Grand Prix (new event)
• Friday June 19-Sunday June 21 – Rally from Toms River to Atlantic City/Atlantic City Festival of Speed Weekend
• Sunday July 5 – Brunch Run to Captain’s Inn in Forked River
• Wednesday July 8-10 – Manasquan Veterans Offshore Grand Prix (new event)
• Saturday July 11 – Shore Dreams For Kids, Seaside Heights
• Saturday August 1 – Rally from Toms River to Breezes Bar & Grill in Tuckerton (new)
• Saturday September 12 – End of the Season Oyster Creek Inn & Atlantic City Fun Run